April Showers May Bring You More Than Flowers
British springtime is renowned for us having very temperamental weather. Although our typical April showers may bring our gardens back to life and begin to bloom, spring flowers aren’t the only things that these showers will bring.
Increased precipitation boosts activity levels for moisture-loving bugs, and can provide a perfect breeding ground for some pests. Like us, others may not be so fond of being stuck out in the rain and will be seeking shelter and warmth indoors.
Pests Attracted to Standing Water
April showers bring forth various moisture pests, who thrive in the wet conditions that Britain provides at this time of year.
- While ants are known to scavenge for food, they often come indoors seeking water. Ants are an unwanted nuisance and may cause damage to your home’s foundations.
- Flies can breed in stagnant water, this includes birdbaths, pools, ponds, clogged rain gutters, play equipment, and more.
- Cockroaches are very resilient and can be hard to get rid of if you find yourself with an infestation. Whilst searching for water sources, they can contaminate food and countertops, spread disease, and leave a disturbing odour around your home.
- Rats and mice can not only damage your home and your belongings, but they can also spread potentially harmful diseases and infections.
- Slugs relish wet and muggy conditions and can destroy our garden plants and vegetables. We also see a sharp rise in garden pests, such as earwigs and silverfish, around areas containing water.
Springtime Preventative Measures to Keep Pests Away
Pests can put a real damper on enjoying the few nice days that we get in spring, but they don’t have to!
There are some simple steps that you can take to deter pests from your homes:
- Remove any items that allow pools of standing water to form, such as buckets or birdbaths. If they cannot be removed, empty them regularly.
- Piles of leaves and areas of overgrowth can trap moisture underneath. Remove them from your property and maintain your garden.
- Inspect the outside of your property and the walls around your perimeter. Fill in any gaps, cracks, or holes that you may find.
- Fix broken gutters and keep them unclogged of debris.
- Repair any water leaks or leaking hose pipes, so that no moisture can form.
- Keep doors, windows and screens closed as much as possible, to prevent flying insects from entering your home.
- Don’t store wood near your home and ensure it is kept in a dry place.
- Keep outdoor bins sealed.
- Undertake good housekeeping by sweeping, vacuuming, and wiping counters regularly.
- Remove your pet’s food and water bowls when they’re done with them.
- Control the condensation in your home. Be sure to wipe any condensation away and seal it if you find a draft. Dehumidifiers can also help.
Don’t Let Pests Rain on Your Parade
Don’t let pests make a rainy day worse – if you’re struggling to contain a springtime infestation, our team of experts are here to help!
Confirm a Kill have been dealing with unwanted pests around Nottingham for over 25 years. If you would like a free no-obligation quote for your home or business then please get in touch with our team.